G.T. Fieros

Greater Toronto Fieros
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:46 am 

Hey all. Checking in with a something pretty unique - a 1987 Mera I recently purchased off of a relative (original owner) at a steep family discount with 47,500km on the odometer. This is an original Mera, not a kit-replica. Pics below.

Meras were a dealer-option Fiero GT rebody available in '87 and '88, done by a shop in Michigan called Corporate Concepts. They were originally referred to by Corporate Concepts as "an homage to Italian car design," which Ferrari very rightly interpreted as "blatant ripoff of the Ferrari 308" and sued for copyright, stopping production. 247 in total were made, mine is Mera #7049 (so #49 in '87, #50 overall if you count the original '86 concept model). Here's some info.

The car had been sitting for around like 5-8 years, but aside from a tune-up and new tires, didn't need much to safety. I've been working on getting it properly cleaned up (the engine is next on the list) and the headlights have decided that they don't want to raise anymore, but aside from that it's in great shape mechanically, especially considering the age. I'm gonna be chipping away at some paint restoration and small fixes as I go as well. It has a stock Fiero interior, with the exception of aftermarket leather seats, a racing wheel (I'll be having a Mera horn cap custom made) and shift knob. The car has a performance chip on the engine which apparently provides and extra 30hp, but I haven't verified. Everything else is stock. I don't plan on making any modifications, aside from maybe the way sleeker looking low-profile headlights.

I'm out towards Hamilton. Looking forward to any meetups!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:06 pm 
Addict

Amazingly clean car. I am jealous of the paint quality alone. Welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:55 pm 

BigB wrote:
Amazingly clean car. I am jealous of the paint quality alone. Welcome aboard!

Thanks!

But don't be too jealous - it's a victim of some crappy touch-up repairs that those two pics don't show. You'd never know until I point them out, but still. I'm gonna be looking into some paint restoration down the road.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:52 am 
wannabe

Saw your car on facebook - i knew of that guy in Caledonia for years he has all these fieros on his lawn! LOL. Hopefully you can bring your car Sept 29.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 pm 
Guru

LOOKS GR8!